Sunday, August 3, 2014

The Shack ~ Clams and Chaos, Huntington NY


Every time I think of going back East I think of seafood. I always see the iconic pictures on Facebook from my friends back east eating lobster, clams and crabs in their backyard as their patio table is adorned in newspapers. I have always wanted to do this. Well its kind of hard when you are visiting to host a back yard seafood fest, especially if you are lets say visiting and you don't have a backyard! 

While walking in downtown Huntington I came across this restaurant off of Gerard St. I gasped and had to go inside. This was the it, this is what all those backyard pictures are about. I was so excited that I was able to try this amazing food and write about it.

With my camera in hand I knew I captured it….minus the backyard.  

I want you to take a good look at the pictures and really take it in….You will see why in a moment 







It kind of has that beachcomber feel to it. Definitely a back East atmosphere of easy going and fun!






Everything you see in this restaurant : Chairs, Tables, decor was bought either on Craigslist, garage sales or they made. The owner  Mace Coldony couldn't have more down to earth, chatting with him was liking talking to one of your buddies, I was ready to buy him a beer. He was so excited and passionate about he decorated and built this restaurant also with the help of his talented wife and all her help with decorating. I have to say they did an amazing job and I loved how they searched to find the little trinkets and treasures to add the finishing touches. 

This is a unique venue that is very casual yet sophisticated. This is the time of place that welcomes families yet has a trendy appeal for those just looking for a fun atmosphere, fabulous customer service and spectacular seafood. 








I love everything about this picture! This is my iconic back east "before we eat seafood" picture. Everything about this picture makes me love this restaurant more and more and we even haven't touched on the food yet!




Can I just say one more time…. I REALLY LOVE THE DECOR. The atmosphere was so relaxing, fun and just chill.  I felt like I was at a friends house back east getting ready to eat some seafood in the backyard.




  The hardest thing will be deciding on what to get. So to make it easy on yourself, come hungry and it is a must to try at least two to three appetizers before your meal. This is a place to eat and enjoy the company around you while basking in the coolness of the atmosphere.




I must warn you…..you will be waited on by the sweetest most patient friendliest staff. Who go out of their way to accommodate you. And if you have ever been dining with me….You know this is a HUGE compliment. Not very many restaurants can offer both great food and customer service, its a lost art. Well maybe The Shack ; Clams & Chaos dishes it and serves it with a smile!




I started off by having the New England Clam Chowder. They say a picture is worth a thousand words…..however since you can't taste it……




My tastebuds just exploded with flavor, I could honestly say I knew what Meg Ryan was referring to in when Harry met Sally. Yes that good…..





Spoon after spoon after spoon it never fails to disappoint. So creamy and rich, chunks of clams. It was so fresh like tasting the sea.  



My son decided to get the chicken tenders which were golden brown and moist. They were super tasty and crispy, the Dijon dipping sauce was tangy and sweet.



For our first appetizer we had the Fried clams oreganato. This was perfectly breaded, not overpowering and letting the clam taste come through. Garlic bread was used for greedily sloping up the clam sauce. 









Our next appetizer was the fried calamari with Kung pao sauce. Sauce was sweet with a chili bite at the end. Calamari was perfectly done. Not chewy or rubbery. The seaweed salad that lay as the bed for this fried beauties offered a unique tangy and sweet compliment to the calamari.







 We were so amazed by the appetizers by how fresh everything tasted and how we loved the presentations we had to meet the creators….. Meet the masterminds! It was such an honor to meet these two. They take such pride in what they make, they even made the rounds in the restaurant to ask how everyone was enjoying their meals. I don't' know about you but I have NEVER been to a restaurant where the Chef's personally come out and check on their customers to see how everything is. One more reason to love The Shack ~ Clams and Chaos!




I had the crab cake "burger".  They were perfectly browned curst with lumps of crab meat. Briny and sweet with the perfect amount of spice and the sweet potato fries. The fries were caramelized and crispy on the outside and tender on the inside. 




 OMG! Another, "When Harry met Sally moment."  Just look, LOOK, I love the presentation….I was eating pure art! 



                                                              YUMMY YUMMY YUMMY!



My boyfriend got the Lobster roll. This was loaded with lobster. Lobster fresh and perfectly dressed. Many places overwhelm with mayo, but not here. Sweet roll perfectly balanced the lobster.


                          Not only was their presentation outstanding so was their food!



 Did I mention that they don't just specialize in seafood…they have a pretty diverse menu. Oh and as an added plus they have an happy hour!




 The little one who is responsible for our Chaos….got a shirt as a parting gift. That is his favorite shirt. When he puts it on he tells his friends he went to the "Shack"  in NY and had the best chicken nuggets! LOL




 Just to let you know they also have another location in Centerport, NY. That location I believe is just for outside dining and depends on weather. This is on my bucket list to try that location as well.




 I was so fortunate to try the food and share my thoughts about it. I really appreciate the opportunity and I truly feel that I should be thanking all of you! THANK YOU for a wonderful FIVE STAR dining experience.



Great customer service, a wonderful atmosphere that was relaxin and upbeat, fun chic decor and above all spectacular food! Thank  you!!!!  When you leave you are thanked once again for stopping by….We truly love, The Shack ~ Clams and Chaos. Just like the sign says, "Until we meet again!"

82 comments:

MikiHope said...

Yikes--I live in NY-not really near Huntington-but it is doable! I want to go their-that lobster roll--I want it now!

Masshole Mommy said...

Sounds like a great restaurant. We don't eat seafood, which is weird for a New Englander, but we have no shortage of restaurants like this around here.

Kay Adeola said...

I love the decor of this place so unique,The food looks really good too.

April Mims said...

This looks like a super cool and fun place! I love the decor and that everything was great about your experience.

Liz Mays said...

I really love the vibe and decor of the place too. I don't eat seafood, but I'd still go there so the boyfriend could get his fill!

Young At Heart Mommy said...

I have never had clams before but this makes me want to go out and try them. Everything looks delicious! It looks like a very comfy cozy place, my kind of eating environment.

Amy Desrosiers said...

I live in New England so this is all second nature to me! I LOVE seafood and could eat these dishes every day if I wouldn't blow up!

Lindsey Paris said...

What a kitschy hole in the wall done professionally. I LOVE seafood, but have never been farther north than NYC.

Milena said...

Yummy! Looks like a fun place. I love the decor. My girlfriend lives in that area. I'll have to see if she's been there, maybe I should visit her!

jaime said...

I love the decor of this place! Next time I'm in New York, I'll have to seek this place out. I have a lot of family in upstate New York, and we're due for a visit.

Lisa said...

This place looks amazing!!

Amy Desrosiers said...

Any place that sells lobster rolls gets my seal of approval! The chowda looks good too..said with my New Englad accent..haha

Kelli Avery said...

I'm not a big seafood fan, but I love the idea of the place. I would love to visit someday. I think it's great they made it out of re purposed items from Craigslist etc.

Lois Alter Mark said...

Oh, you are making me miss my East Coast roots! I'm dying for that lobster roll right now!

Carly from The Puzzled Palate said...

This looks like such a fun place to eat! I am heading towards the beach in a few weeks- can't wait for all of the sea food!

Jennifer Williams said...

I would have loved to go to this type of restaurant. I am like you and would gone it as soon as I saw it. I miss the restaurants like that from back home.

Nicole said...

That is such a cool place! Love the mermaid decor on the wall. I'm not a big seafood person, but it definitely looks like a fun place to eat!

Kita said...

This just made me hungry. I am from SC and I love love love my seafood so whenever I see a place that sells good food on the East Coast I am always up to go. I travel for good food lol

Amanda Her said...

This definitely looks like a place I would love to visit. I love seafood (that clam chowder looks delish!) and your pictures do a great job of capturing the restaurant.

Dallas Socials said...

$10 flights caught my eye! This looks like a great establishment.

connie said...

I want to go. My favorite thing to do when I visit someplace is to hit the local spots. Now I'm hungry.

debdenny said...

What a fun place. The food looks great. The d├ęcor is what I would love to see.

Annemarie Leblanc said...

I love seafood, this place looks great and the food looks even more amazing! I need to visit here.

Elizabeth Sanders Towns said...

What a great place. I know my family would love this place. I would make some vegetarian choices, but everything looks extremely good. I like the ambiance, the atmosphere.

Kristen Campbell said...

How neat! I love original non-chain restaurants like this one!

Tracie Nall said...

I love everything about this restaurant. It is super cute, and the food looks amazing!

Dawn said...

I would absolutely love to have dinner there. I really dig the atmosphere they have going on, and the food looks amazing.

AMBER EDWARDS said...

The decor is so much fun! Definitely a unique place to hang out and get some delicious food. And speaking of food; that all looks amazing! Now I"m hungry again!

becca said...

What a wonderful restaurant will be adding it to my must try list.

Virginia Higgins said...

Oooh, I want the salmon sliders, and the clam chowder, and the fries... it all looks and sounds so good! The decor is super cute, too. That mermaid is awesome, I want one for our bathroom!

Diane N said...

I love how quirky that place looks. The food looks good too!

Nicole Ramage said...

That looks like such a fun restaurant! And that lobster roll looks delicious!!

Daisy B said...

Now this is my kind of comfort food! What a cool looking restaurant and great food. I'm going to have to take my family.

Chrystal Mahan said...

mmmmm I love clams and could eat that and just about any other seafood every day.

DeDa Studios said...

The food looks fantastic - the restaurant looks like a place we would feel comfortable eating at.

Wendy said...

oh man, that looks so amazing. I love seafood, but not everyone in my family does, so I love the diverse menu!

GayNYCDad said...

I met a lot of Long Islanders when I went to college and I remember spending summers out there and having some delicious seafood! I miss the LI seafood experience, and the beach!

Trisha Grimes said...

Yum, The Shack sounds like my kind of place to eat! All of the food looks delish!

Celebrity VIP Lounge said...

I am not a big fan of clams, but that food there looks amazing. Amber N

Rachael Ebner said...

The Shack looks like a great place to eat. I love going out for seafood.

Jeff Taylor said...

I am not a big seafood lover but tghis place looks great! Thanks for the review.

Tami said...

I love restaurants like that...laid back, easy going and chill. However, those descriptions also accompany bad service. I love that you found a place that does not follow the norm...that they provide excellent service in a comfy setting. I also love the name as well. :)

Savory Experiments said...

My family lives in Smithtown, only a town or two over. I'll have to check it out next time I'm up that way. Thanks for the review.

The Positive MOM said...

I love what you shared about how they furnished and decorated the place by getting everything on Craigslist and second hand stores. I love that concept!

Coolmoms Cooltips said...

what a great find! I definitively have it on my list when I head that way
food looks great. love the mermaid piece

ACM'smommy said...

What a fun place! Love the decor and the food looks super yummy!
Amanda

Mama to 5 said...

Sounds great! I will be in NY in a few weeks, I will have to see if it's close to where I will be to try out!

Ann B said...

I love the decor. It looks for inviting! The food looks delicious as well. Sounds like a great place to go for a family meal.

Janell said...

What an awesome looking restaurant. I will have to make sure I check this out when we visit.

Cheap Is The *New* Classy said...

My daughter loves sea food, especially clams! I bet she would love this place!

Beth@FrugalFroggie said...

Oh that food looks so good!! And I so hungry right now.

Rosie said...

Oh my gosh EVERYTHING about this place looks amazing! Looks like there's a roadtrip in my near future!!

Carly said...

I am loving the beach feel of this place! And your food all looks amazing! I wish I could try this place out so badly!

Lolo @ Crazy About My Baybah said...

When we travel, I love going to places like this. That New England Clam soup looks amazing!

Annie said...

That food looks so good! I wanna go to this place :P

Theresa Mahoney said...

It looks like a very rustic, yet charming place to eat! The food all looks so amazing too. I love a good burger, and those photos are making me crave one right now!

Cam Bibs and Baubles said...

I agree with you. I love the decor. The food looks amazing too!

Christie C said...

I could totally see our fam hanging out here after a day at the beach. Looks relaxing and delicious!

mail4rosey said...

This would be a fun place to go get some eats on. That Clam Chowder does look very creamy good!

Rebekah said...

This just made me even more excited to head to Maine for vacation in a couple of weeks. I'm DYING for Maine seafood. Looks like a yummy place.

Katrina said...

What a cute restaurant! I love seafood in New England, I've tried it when in FL and SC and it never compares to the seafood from here.

Tonia Sanders said...

Mmmmm, my eyes went straight to the lobster mac n cheese. I would love some right now. I haven't ever had clams.

Mariana said...

What a fun restaurant! You've made me hungry with all your photos! There's a similar 'shack' near me that serves delicious seafood.

Rena McDaniel said...

This looks like a great place to eat I wil l have to save it for future reference. We travel ALOT and are always on the look out for great restaurants.

Lori said...

Looks like they have a ton of delicious food choices! I love all of the pictures you took. You really captured the atmosphere!

Marina @ Mommy Snippets said...

Great food and a fun environment! That's great! Looks really good.

Casa Vilora Interiors said...

I love eating at those quaint places with yummy food. It all looks really delicious

Cassie Tucker said...

Love the decor! Those salt and pepper shakes are awesome ;) The food looks downright delicious, I totally thought you were in like Charleston with that food!

Angie Barrett said...

Oh my gosh, I want to go there!!! Those $10 Flights and that food just pulls me in!!

Dina said...

I'd love to eat there. that clam chowder looks too yummy!!

Rebecca Swenor said...

This place looks amazing and so does the food. I love how the chef's are so personable. Thanks for sharong.

Krystal Butherus said...

I love everything about this place! The beer, the decor, the menu. This is definitely my kind of place!

kristenione said...

That is the cutest place I have ever seen! Would love to have a date there with my husband and have a beer flight!

BrettBMartin said...

I haven't heard of this place before. I'll have to check this out next time I travel to New York!

Mina Slater said...

Oh my gosh, I love New England Clam Chowder! It's the main thing that I crave when I go visit my home state, Massachusetts. All that food looks delicious.

Casa Vilora Interiors said...

I haven't had a clam chowder in a long time. Your post is making me hungry for one

Teresa Moody said...

That looks like a neat place. It reminds me of our favorite place.

Felicia Carter said...

What a cute decorated place! The food looks awesome.

Janeane Davis said...

I enjoyed reading this post. The photo of the beer bottles repurposed as salt and paper shakers was my favorite. It reminded me of seafood places I see all over the place near home.

Kristin said...

Looks like a great place with a great family feel. Great post!

Emily - faliLV said...

Oh my! This looks amazing. I love seafood and could see a very fun date night there!!

Dianna Paul said...

what great photos!! The pictures alone made me hungry. Love the decor and feel of this place!

Post a Comment